International Einojuhani Rautavaara Chamber Choir Composition Workshop and Competition 2012
1. Applications to The International Einojuhani Rautavaara Chamber Choir Composition Workshop and Competition will be accepted from individuals of any nationality born between 1 February 1977 and 31 January 1994 inclusive. The deadline for applications to arrive in Helsinki is 30 September 2011. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
2. 4-8 participants will be selected on the basis of applications by an international panel of composers and choral conductors.
3. The International Einojuhani Rautavaara Chamber Choir Composition Workshop and Competition will consist of two sessions: a workshop in Helsinki on 19-21 February 2012 (henceforth Workshop) and a competition in Viitasaari on 6-7 July 2012 (henceforth Competition).
4. Selected participants are required to commit in writing to participation in all stages of the Workshop and Competition by 30 November 2011. Failure to attend any part of the Workshop and Competition will result in disqualification. Similarly, failure to submit three copies of the final composition for the Competition by 30 April 2012 will disqualify the participant.
5. Participants are required to make their own arrangements for travel to and from Helsinki. The Competition will reimburse travel costs upon presentation of receipts up to a maximum of 300 euros for the Workshop and 300 euros for the Competition. For the Competition, travel from Helsinki to Viitasaari and back will be arranged and paid for by the organisers. The organisers will also arrange and pay for accommodation for both the Workshop and the Competition.
6. The a cappella work submitted with the application and the final work submitted for the Competition must each be written specifically for the International Einojuhani Rautavaara Chamber Choir Composition Workshop and Competition and must not have been previously published or performed. These two works may be versions of the same piece. The scores must be submitted on A4 size paper. The work submitted for the Workshop must be for 8-12 singers chosen from SSSAAATTTBBB and must be 4-6 minutes in duration. The work submitted for the Competition must be for 13-16 singers chosen from SSSSAAAATTTTBBBB and must be 7-10 minutes in duration. The compositions may not include instruments or electronics. The singers may be required to sing either one or more on a part. Entrants are free to choose any text they like, or not to set a text at all. However, if an unusual language is chosen, entrants must be prepared to tell the singers how to pronounce it. Entrants must also clear the rights to any copyright material in advance of submitting their work. Any costs that arise from the use of copyright material must be borne by the entrant.
7. The works submitted for the Competition must be dedicated to the Helsinki Chamber Choir. The Helsinki Chamber Choir will retain exclusive performing rights to these works until 31 July 2013. The work that wins the Rautavaara Prize will be performed by the Helsinki Chamber Choir in its 2012/13 concert series in Helsinki.
8. The Einojuhani Rautavaara Prize shall consist of 5000 euros plus a commission for a 10-minute work for the Helsinki Chamber Choir for its 2013/14 season in Helsinki. The Helsinki Chamber Choir will retain exclusive performing rights to this work until 31 December 2014. The commission fee will be 3000 euros (including the composer’s travel and accommodation for attending the first performance), to be paid upon receipt of the completed work. The jury may allocate the Prize money in a different way if it sees fit. Additional prizes may be awarded at the discretion of the organisers. All applicable taxes and social security payments will be deducted from the prize money and commission fee.
9. The organisers reserve the right to allow some or all parts of the Workshop and Competition to be recorded for distribution via radio, television, the internet and CD or other comparable media. The participants shall not be entitled to any financial compensation for such a recording or for any media interviews they may be asked to give. However, the organisers will endeavour to ensure that participants receive a copy of any recording made of their work, for private use only.
10. The participant is required to ensure in good time that he/she has all the necessary documentation for travel to Finland for each stage of the Workshop and Competition. The organisers will supply an invitation for visa purposes if necessary.
11. Members of the jury must declare any personal or professional connection to the participants and shall not be allowed to vote on the work of any participant to whom they are deemed too closely connected. The jury shall not include the teachers of the Workshop. All members of the jury will attend both the dress rehearsal and the concert of the Competition. Participants will have the chance to receive personal feedback from members of the jury following the prize-giving ceremony. The jury’s decision at every stage of the Workshop and Competition is final.
12. In case of dispute, the Finnish version of these rules is binding.